"EUBORCO" - EU Border Communities: sharing experiences and practices on refugees’ reception and social solidarity
In the last years, more than 1 million refugees and migrants have arrived in EU, the large majority of them fleeing from war and terror in Syria and other troubled countries. The response to the arrival of hundreds of thousands of people in the period of a few months has deepened the divisions at the heart of the EU as well as in some of its states, especially those that have taken in the largest number of refugees: solidarity vs hostility, raise of Eurocriticism and Euroscepticism, questions and concerns concerning Europe’s future, European Integration or disintegration.
EUBorCo Project brings together a strong partnership composed by nine (9) Local Authorities & Civil Society Organisations from Greece, Bulgaria, the Republic of North Macedonia, Italy, Malta and Spain, located near land or “maritime” borders, that all share similar experiences with regards to the reception and hosting of refugees especially during the crisis of the last years.
European Citizenship and EU policies on planning, solidarity, social inclusion, equal opportunities and non-discrimination, all constitute fundamental elements of all partners’ multi-annual working programs, while these topics were further discussed and elaborated during the past years while refugees’ flows started growing in their areas.
The project is planned in full accordance with the Call’s Strand 2: Democratic engagement and civic participation, Action 2.2: Network of Towns.
The overall objective of the project is the exchange of good practices and experiences on refugees’ reception and social solidarity.
In particular, the project aims to:
- enable discussion about the role of local communities for the promotion of active citizenship, volunteerism and solidarity
- support refugees’ and immigrants’ integration
- enhance the belief and trust of European Citizens in the concept of Integration and Solidarity,
- understand and debate Euroscepticism and on Europe’s Future
- transform ordinary people & volunteers into active multipliers, able to inform and inspire citizens of all ages concerning the idea of European Unity and Future.
- strengthen EU Active Citizenship and Participation